Monday 8 March 2010

Imodium and Toilet Roll

I think you can safely say that something in your life has gone impressively tits up when your priorities make a drastic change over a very short period of time.

If you had asked me 8 months ago if I were to be trapped on a desert island and were allowed only two luxury items with me I wouldn't have hesitated in declaring that my Ipod and photographs would have been the most important things to me. However fast forward to the present day and my answer has changed somewhat. The "don't leave home without" items in my life have somehow morphed into Imodium and toilet roll, not exactly the most sophisticated or elegant of island companions.

Over the last 8 months I have found myself suffering from symptoms associated with IBS and for anyone who has had the pleasure of experiencing these you will know exactly what I am talking about. Stomach pain, embarrassing wind and frequent, urgent trips to the bathroom on a daily basis make up a handful of reasons why this syndrome is not exactly conducive to living the ideal life of a modern mid twenties lady.

As I embark on the process of receiving a diagnosis, and hopefully a solution, for this problem I am going to share with you every trick, every embarrassing situation and every test along the way until my life is hopefully returned to how it was before. I will attempt in my own way to provide an upbeat account of what has undoubtedly proven to be one of the most emotionally and physically draining experiences that I have gone through.

Allow me to rewind again temporarily to a time when I was enjoying a "normal" existence (although I have to admit such memories are fading quickly). I was always a very social and active person, lining up coffees with friends following work most evenings. I went to dance classes and gym sessions on a regular basis, enjoyed meals out and didn't care much for spending time in my house when there were other more exciting things to do.

Now my coffees take place in venues which are an easy sprint back to my house, my gym sessions are a thing of the past and as for meals out...well I have pretty much kissed goodbye to those altogether! I have changed nights out for frustrating nights in, lost touch with friends and am slowly becoming more and more concerned about what will happen if I leave the house. I have to play a speedy game of "find the toilet" every time I enter a new place just to have a smidgen of reassurance in the back of my mind.

I have always said that whatever the cause or reason I will face these symptoms head on and not jeopardise my lifestyle however after several embarrassing incidents my will power and strength is slowly being worn away. Take two of my most recent unsuccessful trips to the cinema in which I paid in, saw the opening credits and then spent the following 30 minutes staring at the inside of the toilet cubicle, trying to guess when the next person would leave so that I could make a hasty dash for the exit.

In another when embarking on a long drive with my best friend my stomach went into a full spasms leaving me with no option but to pull the car over at the side of the motorway! If you can imagine the scene as I scrambled up a muddy embankment in the pissing rain to get out of sight of on coming traffic while my best friend tossed me a sock to "wipe" with. Her later suggestion that I could just take it home and wash it was a tad questionable...although I very much appreciated her quick thinking.

Having a friend laughing uncontrollably definitely made the situation a lot easier to shrug off as a comedy moment and it did teach me one thing - making light of these episodes is the only way to keep going because without it the temptation will be to hide away altogether.

As the list of places I have pooped in continues to grow and shadow the most exciting places I have had sex in I will continue to try to salvage as much of a life as possible from this embarrassing condition.

In the next few blogs I will take a look back at everything that I have tried to lessen the symptoms and I will tell you what has worked and what hasn't. I hope this will be of use to someone and I look forward to hearing from anyone who can offer any advice.




5 comments:

  1. Here's a web-site you might consider:

    http://www.greattastenopain.com/cmdt.asp?id=1096539

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello........i got ur post on ibs-d......i want u to know that D can control ur life........but here's the thing most know seem to know out there....... D is a symptom of deeper, unseen problems........until u find that issue for ur self, this is going to define u......if u take a deep look at ur life b 4 the D, u might find some clues.........i don't believe that Rx drugs r the answer, other think it's the easy way out.........there is no easy way out..........find out what ur body is telling u...........chris......cmtest204@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I will check out the site and Chris I am trying my best and will be using every resource I can find to work out the cause and solution :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ibs is mostly anxiety!! I literally have to yell at myself to calm the hell down,and No,i do not need to go to the toilet as im waiting at the traffic lights!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also a journalist. I came across your blog as I've been suffering this for four years now and it forced me to quit my job as a successful journalist and become a waitress! So you can imagine how unhappy and trapped that has made me feel (Less quiet embarrassing situations and a bit less stress is why I choose waitressing). I'm currently attending psychotherapy (for the mental side) and getting hospital tests (for the physical) as I've had enough and am determined to beat it and get my life back!!
    I think its brilliant that you can laugh at it... I'm trying to do the same as I think its actually the best way to deal with it. Good luck and I would love to hear from you if you manage to overcome this problem!

    ReplyDelete